The recent advance in pharmacology has opened doors to patients through new modes of medication. Thanks to the internet, today these medications are available to the patient in the comfort of their home. Online pharmacies have helped to cut down unnecessary transportation and downtime in the recovery of patients worldwide. But, as beneficial it sounds, online pharmacy is a double-edged weapon as well.
Back to Basics:
There are many rogue companies that are attempting to sell counterfeit drugs in Canada, on the internet. These companies might flash the flag of Canada on the home page of their website for expressing ‘genuineness.’ Be wary of such websites! They can cause you a lot of damage such as:
- Insufficient quantity of the active ingredient in their drugs required to counter the illness
- Use of cheap ingredients in manufacture that could cause life-threatening allergies
- Lethal toxins that might develop due to improper storage conditions of medicines in their warehouse
- Exposing you to hackers and criminals who could steal private and financial information
All Canadian Pharmacy online sites need to be registered with the Canadian International Pharmacy Association also known as CIPA. This government agency promotes awareness amongst customers to stay clear off fraudulent websites. Just like its counterpart in the USA (The Food and Drug Administration or FDA), the agency has its own set of standards for validating dispensing of prescribed medication through the internet.
As an end level consumer, here are some useful ‘basics’ for you to consider while purchasing meds over the net:
- All pharmacies registered under the website are members of the CIPA.
- Their operations are always monitored by a government-approved body
- A user-friendly process of placing an order for medicines
- The website will process your order only after you upload/ mail a valid medical practitioner’s prescription
- Clearly written customer, refund and pricing policy to ensure complete transparency
- A CIPA approved a panel of pharmacists available 24/7 to answer queries
- The website will broadcast its accreditations in the website such as CIPA approved, SSL encrypted payment, Trust seal and other genuine safeguards
- A prominently highlighted registered office address and telephone number for contacting