They are the artificial light from electrical bulbs that are used to grow plants indoors and also to stimulate plant growth during the night. Whether you are a seasoned farmer or just an amateur, there is a lot of knowledge that you need to have about grown light kits and how you can benefit from this technology that we are going to dig into in this article.
When it comes to indoor farming, they have many applications. Some of the most common uses include:
- To raise plants from the beginning till maturity.
- To grow seedlings in preparation of a planting season.
- To add on to sunlight when the sunlight intensity is not enough for the plants.
- It helps to propagate roots ant cuttings successfully.
- When used during the night, it helps to extend the daylight or the plant, and thus the plant grows faster.
- It is used to grow crops such as herbs which are harvested at a young age.
Things to consider when choosing the grow light kits.
- Intensity. This refers to the amount of light that reaches the plant. It varies from one kit to another. The light source should be appropriately positioned to get maximum plant growth.
- Power. It is the amount of electricity needed by the grow light.
- Footprint. This is the surface area of the plat that is covered by the light.
Types of Grow light
- High-Intensity Discharge. They produce light when an electric current is passed through a metal vapour, which in turn releases energy in the form of light.
- Metal halide. These are commonly used during the vegetative period of the crops because they produce more blue light that is essential during this stage of the plant.
- High-pressure sodium. It is preferred during the flowering and fruiting stages as they produce more red and orange lights that are essential during these stages.
The other types of grow lights include; ceramic metal halide, fluorescent, light emitting diode, 600w grow light, 315 daylight bulbs, gavita lights, digital ballast 600w, and plasma grow light kits.
There are various things you need to consider when it comes to the maintenance of a grow light.
- Heat is produced where light is given out. This means you risk burning the plant if the lighting kit is placed very close to the plant. It is, therefore, proper to consider how to handle heating and cooling.
- Lighting kit degradation is another factor you need to consider. This is because of lighting kits degrade every time they are in use and therefore must be replaced with time.
The cost of installation of lighting kits will depend on the size of your farm or the surface area of your plants and also the objective of the lighting. The type of types of equipment used is will also affect your cost for different packages have different in price.